- 2 cups panko or coarse bread crumbs (see Note)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed and halved
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a food processor, process the panko until fine. Transfer to a pie plate. In another pie plate, season the flour with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk.
- Working in batches, dredge a few livers at a time in the flour, then dip them into the egg mixture. Coat them with the panko and transfer to a large plate.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering. Add half of the livers and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned and crisp, 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining livers. Transfer to plates and serve with lemon wedges.
Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) is available in most supermarkets, specialty food stores and Asian markets.
These crumb-coated livers are wonderful with a soft, fruity red like a serious cru Beaujolais or Pinot Noir.