Crispy Fried Chicken Livers
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
At Enoteca Vin, Ashley Christensen serves her irresistible fried livers with a buttery sage pan sauce, but they're also delicious with just a wedge of lemon.
- 2 cups panko or coarse bread crumbs (see Note)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 pound chicken livers, trimmed and halved
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a food processor, process the panko until fine. Transfer to a pie plate. In another pie plate, season the flour with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk.
- Working in batches, dredge a few livers at a time in the flour, then dip them into the egg mixture. Coat them with the panko and transfer to a large plate.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering. Add half of the livers and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned and crisp, 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining livers. Transfer to plates and serve with lemon wedges.
These crumb-coated livers are wonderful with a soft, fruity red like a serious cru Beaujolais or Pinot Noir.