- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 pound cooked fish, such as snapper, salmon, trout or cod, broken into small chunks
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs), plus more for coating
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6 hamburger buns, preferably brioche
- Lettuce, sliced tomatoes and pickle slices, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, egg, cilantro, scallions and jalapeño. Fold in the fish and the 1/2 cup of <em>panko</em> and season with salt and pepper. Form the mixture into six 3 1/2-inch patties and coat generously with <em>panko</em>.
In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the fish patties and cook over moderately high heat, turning once or twice, until crisp and heated through, about 8 minutes. Set the patties on the buns. Top with lettuce, tomato and pickles and serve right away.
The fish patties can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight.