- 2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups coarsely shredded Gruyère cheese (9 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper baking cups. In a medium bowl, whisk the cornmeal with the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, pepper and cumin.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter at high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time. At low speed, beat in half of the milk, followed by half of the dry ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold in the cheese and the remaining milk and dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the baking cups; fill them to within 1/4 inch of the rims. Bake the muffins for 30 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.