- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the evaporated milk and stir until a dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead just until smooth, about 1 minute. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a thick rope. Cut the dough into 24 pieces and roll each piece into a 9-inch rope. Bring both ends together and twist each rope tightly.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil to 350°. Fry the twists, about 8 at a time, until golden all over, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and kept at room temperature, covered, for up to 1 hour.