© Dave Lauridsen
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
To make these addictive snacks, chef Jason Travi tosses canned chickpeas with flour, coriander and cumin, then fries them. He loves popping them into his mouth while he's watching football.
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Three 15-ounce cans chickpeas—drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil to 350°. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with the coriander and cumin. Add the flour and toss until the chickpeas are coated; transfer to a sieve and tap off the excess flour.
- Add one-third of the chickpeas at a time to the hot oil and fry, stirring occasionally, until they are browned and crispy, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chickpeas to the paper towels to drain and sprinkle liberally with salt. Let the vegetable oil return to 350° between batches. Let the chickpeas cool, then transfer them to a bowl and serve.
Make Ahead The fried chickpeas can kept at room temperature for up to 4 hours.