- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs, plus more for dredging
- Canola oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes with the chicken, shallots, egg, chives, salt, pepper and the 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Form the chicken mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties. Dredge the patties in bread crumbs and transfer them to the baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering. Fry the croquettes over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and hot throughout, 4 to 6 minutes total. Transfer to paper towels to drain; serve hot.