- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- 14 slices of white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- Canola oil, for frying
- Warm marinara sauce, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a medium bowl, mix both cheeses with the egg, parsley, crushed red pepper and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Using a rolling pin or wine bottle, flatten each slice of bread; arrange with the long sides facing you. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling on the lower half of each slice. Brush the edges with water and roll up the bread around the filling; press the seams and open ends to seal the rolls.
In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to 350°. Fry the rolls in batches, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt and serve with marinara.