Crispy Celery Root Cutlets
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Buttery bread crumbs enhance the nutty flavor of the celery root in Barbara Damrosch's simple, clever vegetarian dish.
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- Two 3/4-pound celery rootspeeled, halved and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Put the celery root slices in a medium saucepan of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Beat the egg in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, season the bread crumbs with salt and pepper. Dip the celery root slices in the egg and then in the seasoned crumbs, pressing to coat.
- Melt the butter in the oil in a large skillet. Add the slices in a single layer and cook over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt and parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
Make AheadThe cutlets can be fried up to 6 hours ahead; reheat in a 375° oven.