- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Chinese chile-garlic sauce or other chile paste, such as sambal oelek
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 3/4 pounds catfish fillets, cut crosswise into 3-by-1-inch strips
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the pickle relish and chile-garlic sauce.
In a pie plate, beat the eggs with 2 tablespoons of water. In a second pie plate, combine the <em>panko</em> with the Old Bay. Put the flour in a sturdy plastic or paper bag and season with salt and pepper.
Line a plate with wax paper. Add the catfish to the bag and gently shake to coat. Transfer the fish to a strainer and shake off any excess flour. Working in batches, dip the catfish in the eggs and then in the <em>panko</em>. Transfer the breaded fish to the prepared plate.
In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add half of the fish to the skillet and fry over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer the fried fish to paper towels and repeat with the remaining fish.
Arrange the catfish fingers on a platter and sprinkle lightly with salt. Serve right away, passing the remoulade at the table.