Crispy Apple and Pine Nut Fritters
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES 30 SMALL FRITTERS
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon dark rum, warmed
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 Golden Delicious applepeeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cover the raisins with the rum. Let stand for about 10 minutes, or until the raisins are softened.
- Meanwhile, spread the pine nuts in a pie plate and toast for 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar until pale. Whisk in the milk and the citrus zests, then whisk in the dry ingredients. Fold in the apple, pine nuts and the raisins with their soaking liquid.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 350°. Drop level tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil, about 6 at a time. Fry until golden, 4 minutes. Transfer to a rack set over a baking sheet to drain, then fry the rest. Dust the fritters with confectioners' sugar and serve.