Crisp Sausage Cakes with Red Wine Prunes
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES 2 DOZEN PATTIES
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 5 thyme sprigs, plus more for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 pitted prunes, quartered
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped sage
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- In a small saucepan, combine the wine with the 5 thyme sprigs and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Simmer over moderate heat for 4 minutes. Add the prunes and cook until syrupy, about 6 minutes longer. Discard the thyme sprigs and let the syrup cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the sausage with the garlic, basil, sage and a large pinch of pepper; knead until combined. Form the mixture into 1-inch patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Add the sausage patties and cook over moderate heat until cooked through and well browned on both sides, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange the sausage patties on a platter and top each with a piece of prune. Skewer with toothpicks, garnish the platter with thyme sprigs and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.