Crisp Salami Cocktail Mix
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Grace Parisi quickly fries salami, then crisps chickpeas and rosemary in the same delicious cooking oil. Make twice as much as you think you'll need—this cocktail mix is addictive.
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- One 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup roasted and salted shelled pistachios
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil to 325° (a strip of salami dropped in should sizzle). Line a large rack with several layers of paper towels. Fry the salami strips in 3 or 4 batches over moderate heat, until crisp and lightly browned, stirring to separate the slices, about 2 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the salami to the paper towels to drain; the salami will firm up as it cools. Transfer the cooled salami to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with the cornstarch. Add all of the chickpeas to the hot oil and fry over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until deeply golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chickpeas to the paper towels to drain; let cool slightly. Add the chickpeas to the bowl with the salami.
- Add the rosemary to the hot oil and fry, stirring occasionally, until crisp and fragrant, about 1 minute. Drain on the paper towels and let cool. Strip the rosemary needles from the stem and add to the bowl. Add the pistachios, toss gently and serve.
Bright, citrusy Cava.