Crisp Salami Cocktail Mix
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Grace Parisi quickly fries salami, then crisps chickpeas and rosemary in the same delicious cooking oil. Make twice as much as you think you'll need—this cocktail mix is addictive.
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Genoa salami, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- One 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup roasted and salted shelled pistachios
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil to 325° (a strip of salami dropped in should sizzle). Line a large rack with several layers of paper towels. Fry the salami strips in 3 or 4 batches over moderate heat, until crisp and lightly browned, stirring to separate the slices, about 2 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the salami to the paper towels to drain; the salami will firm up as it cools. Transfer the cooled salami to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with the cornstarch. Add all of the chickpeas to the hot oil and fry over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until deeply golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chickpeas to the paper towels to drain; let cool slightly. Add the chickpeas to the bowl with the salami.
- Add the rosemary to the hot oil and fry, stirring occasionally, until crisp and fragrant, about 1 minute. Drain on the paper towels and let cool. Strip the rosemary needles from the stem and add to the bowl. Add the pistachios, toss gently and serve.
Bright, citrusy Cava.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.