© Seth Smoot
Crisp Crab Cakes with Chipotle Mayonnaise
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
These amazing, light and simple crab cakes are bound with fish, not cracker crumbs, for a deep seafood flavor.
More Crab Recipes
- 1/4 pound skinless cod or flounder fillet, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pure olive oil, for frying
- In a mini food processor, puree the fish. Transfer to a large bowl and add the scallions, jalapeños, lemon juice, parsley, cayenne, salt, pepper and mayonnaise and mix thoroughly. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the crabmeat. Form the mixture into 8 cakes. Coat the cakes with the panko and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chipotle, lemon juice, Old Bay and mustard and season with salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1/4 inch of olive oil until shimmering. Add the crab cakes and cook over moderate heat until browned and heated through, about 3 minutes per side. Serve the crab cakes with the chipotle mayonnaise.
Make AheadThe chipotle mayonnaise can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.