- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cracked black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, plus 1 tablespoon chopped leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves (2 1/2 pounds), skin on
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 scallion, white and light green part, chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat the broiler. In a mini food processor, pulse the garlic with the cracked pepper and 2 teaspoons of kosher salt until the garlic is minced. Add 1 cup of the cilantro, the lime juice, crushed red pepper and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and pulse until a chunky paste forms. Rub the paste under the skin and all over the chicken breasts. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with the scallion and season with a pinch each of sugar and salt. Drizzle with olive oil and toss well.
- Season the chicken with salt. Set a rack in the oven 5 inches from the heat source. Broil the chicken skin-side down for 6 minutes, then turn and broil for 6 minutes longer, until the skin is crisp and the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken to plates, garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro and the lime wedges and serve with the tomatoes.