- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- About 8 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon-Garlic Dipping Sauce or lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
Sprinkle the chicken on both sides with the salt, cayenne and thyme. In a paper bag, shake the tenders with the flour. Add the tenders to the eggs in a shallow bowl and stir to coat. Spread the bread crumbs on a plate, add the tenders and turn to coat.
Meanwhile, in a deep fryer fitted with a basket or in a heavy medium saucepan, heat 3 inches of oil to 375°; be sure the oil doesn't get any hotter. Quickly add half of the tenders, one at a time. Fry until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and cook the remaining tenders. Serve with the Lemon-Garlic Dipping Sauce.
The ripe, fruity flavors of a California Chardonnay are a perfect foil for chicken with a garlicky saucerich enough to match it but tart enough to provide contrast.