Crisp Butter Cookies
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the salt. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar at medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour and beat at medium-low speed until a very soft dough forms. Divide the dough in half, flatten into disks and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate the dough until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. On a well-floured surface, roll out one disk of dough 3/8 inch thick. Using a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, stamp out as many cookies as possible; transfer to the baking sheets. Repeat with the second disk of dough. Gather, chill and reroll the scraps, cutting out more cookies. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Bake the cookies for about 18 minutes, until golden, shifting the pans halfway through baking. Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes, then transfer them to racks to cool completely.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.