Crisp Bread Squares with Hot Red Pepper
- SERVINGS: 4
You can make these crisp bread squares as fiery as you like. Leave the ruler in the desk drawer and consider the measurements just a suggestion; a little variation in the size of the bread squares only accentuates their rustic charm.
- 3 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 3 or 4 slivers fresh hot red chile or a pinch of crushed red pepper
- 4 big thick slices of sturdy country bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Fine sea salt
- Dried Mediterranean oregano
- In a large skillet, combine the olive oil, garlic and chile. Cook over low heat until the garlic is light golden. Add the bread crumbs and toss over moderate heat until golden and crisp on the outside but still somewhat soft within, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and oregano and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.