- 3 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 3 or 4 slivers fresh hot red chile or a pinch of crushed red pepper
- 4 big thick slices of sturdy country bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Fine sea salt
- Dried Mediterranean oregano
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, combine the olive oil, garlic and chile. Cook over low heat until the garlic is light golden. Add the bread crumbs and toss over moderate heat until golden and crisp on the outside but still somewhat soft within, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and oregano and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.