Crêpes with Creamy Caramel
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
- 5 large eggs
- 3 1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, 4 melted and 2 softened
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1 jar (1 pound) of dulce de leche
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk and salt. Gradually whisk in the flour, then the melted butter. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 325°. Brush an 8-inch nonstick skillet with softened butter. Pour in 1/4 cup of the batter and tilt to coat. Cook for 45 seconds over moderately high heat. Turn and cook for 10 seconds longer. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining butter and batter, reducing the heat to moderate when the pan becomes too hot; stack the crêpes. Spread 1 scant tablespoon of dulce de leche on each crêpe and fold in quarters. Arrange the crêpes, overlapping, on 2 baking sheets and bake for about 5 minutes, or until warmed through. Transfer to a platter, dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.
The fresh acidity of a Chlean Late Harvest wine keeps the crêpes from seeming overly sweet.