Creole Spice Paste
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: makes 1 cup
Grace Parisi prefers the fresh flavors of green bell pepper, onion and garlic in Creole cooking to the gritty, harsh onion and garlic powders often found in Cajun flavorings. She's tried this aromatic Creole spice paste on lots of food but her favorite way to use it is on butterflied jumbo shrimp.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a food processor, puree the garlic, onion, jalapeño, parsley and thyme. Add the bell pepper, salt, cayenne and black pepper and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the oil.