- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1 large egg
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk 4 cups of the flour with the baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in the butter until it's the size of peas. Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the crème fraîche and egg and pour into the well. Stir with a fork until evenly moistened. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead 2 or 3 times until it holds together.
- Roll out the dough 1 inch thick. Using a 2 1/4-inch round cookie cutter, stamp out the biscuits as close together as possible. Gently press the scraps together and stamp out more biscuits. Transfer to baking sheets and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Bake the biscuits for 18 minutes, or until golden on top. Serve warm from the oven or at room temperature.