- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- Butter cookies, for serving (optional)
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, dissolve the instant coffee in the milk and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the egg, egg yolk and sugar. Whisk in the flour.
Gradually whisk 1 cup of the hot milk into the egg mixture, then into the remaining milk in the saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until thickened.
Strain the hot custard into a bowl. Add the chocolate and stir occasionally until smooth. Let cool, then refrigerate until cold.
Spoon the crème au chocolat into 4 dessert bowls or cups. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and serve with the cookies.
The crème au chocolat can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.