Creamy Tomato-Basil Sauce
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 1 1/4 cups
A soft, lush, cheeselike mascarpone adds a wonderful silkiness to this fast, fresh tomato-and-herb sauce. Avoid fresh cheeses like fromage blanc, lebneh and quark, which might be too tart to add to the already slightly tangy sauce.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup mascarpone
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded basil leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook over high heat, stirring, until the tomatoes are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mascarpone and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until piping hot. Season the sauce with salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, stir in the vinegar and basil and serve.
NotesOther Cheese Choices: Crème fraîche or unsweetened Devon cream.
Serve WithPasta or risotto, broiled chicken, polenta, veal cutlets or roasted vegetables.