- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries
- 1 cup whole milk or cream
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored almond milk
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, plus more for topping
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, cover the dried sour cherries with warm water and let stand until plumped and softened, about 15 minutes. Drain the cherries and discard the soaking water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the whole milk, almond milk and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Stir in the oats, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and the 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the oats are al dente and the porridge is creamy, 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cherries, maple syrup and almonds and season with salt. Serve topped with more maple syrup and almonds.
The porridge can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat gently with more milk or cream to loosen as necessary.