Creamy Spinach with Smoked Gouda Gratin
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
To make sure this gratin is rich and luscious, be sure to squeeze all the excess liquid from the spinach before adding the béchamel.
- 1 1/2 pounds baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons coarsely shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- Smoked Gouda Bèchamel
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 10 inches from the heat. In a large soup pot, bring 1/4 inch of water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook over high heat, tossing with long tongs, until completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer the spinach to a colander and drain, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
- In a medium, ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over high heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the wilted spinach and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the Smoked Gouda Bèchamel and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until bubbling, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the spinach with the bread crumbs and shredded Gouda and broil for 2 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Serve hot.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.