- 1 pound curly spinach, stemmed (20 cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon chopped dill, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt
- White pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, halved or quartered, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a pot of salted boiling water, blanch the spinach until very tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well and squeeze out any excess water. Chop the spinach.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the stock and bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and the 2 tablespoons of dill; cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach.
Working in 2 batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth; season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Ladle into bowls, garnish with the eggs and chopped dill and serve.