© Tina Rupp
Creamy Spaghetti Carbonara
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces thickly sliced pancetta, cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (3 ounces), plus more for serving
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until just al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cream. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the pancetta and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until crisp, 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden, 1 minute.
- Add the spaghetti to the skillet. Cook over low heat, tossing, until coated. Slowly add the reserved pasta cooking water and beaten egg yolks. Toss until coated with a creamy sauce, about 1 minute. Add the 1 cup of Parmesan and the nutmeg; season with pepper. Transfer to bowls and serve, passing extra Parmesan.