- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 to 3 chipotles chiles in adobo, seeded and minced, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 400° and butter a shallow 9-by-13-inch baking dish. In a medium saucepan, bring the heavy cream and milk to a simmer. Whisk in the garlic, chipotles and adobo sauce and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Using a mandoline, slice the potatoes crosswise 1/8 inch thick. Arrange one-fourth of the potato slices in the prepared baking dish, overlapping them slightly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese and 1 tablespoon of the chives over the potato slices. Repeat the layering two more times. Top with a final layer of potatoes and the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Pour the cream mixture over and around the potatoes.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and bubbling and the top is golden brown. Let stand for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of chives and serve.
Make AheadThe unbaked gratin can be refrigerated overnight. Return to room temperature before baking.