Creamy Root Vegetable Soup
- SERVINGS: 4
Warming Soup Recipes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small celery root, peeled and sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red potato, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 large leek, white and tender green, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 quart chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth, defatted
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the parsnips, celery root, carrots, potato, leek, garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 cup of water. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables start to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the stock, cover the pan and reduce the heat to moderately low. Cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth, then season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle with the rosemary and serve.
Make AheadThe coup can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Rewarm before serving.
NotesOne Serving Calories 196 kcal, Protein 7gm, Carbohydrate 47 gm, Cholesterol 4 mg, Total Fat 4.4 gm, Saturated Fat 1.4 gm.