Creamy Ricotta Tart with Pine Nuts
- SERVINGS: Makes one 11-inch tart
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (about 3 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- In a food processor, combine 1/4 cup of the toasted pine nuts with the flour, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the salt; process until finely ground. Add the butter and pulse until a crumbly dough forms. Press the dough over the bottom and up the side of an 11-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Line the tart shell with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake the tart shell in the lower third of the oven for about 25 minutes, or until just set. Carefully remove the foil and pie weights and bake the shell for about 10 minutes longer, or until golden. Let cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining sugar with the water and bring to a boil, stirring. Let the sugar syrup cool slightly.
- In a clean food processor, pulse the cream cheese with the ricotta until smooth. Add the egg yolks and whole eggs, 1 at a time, and process until smooth. With the machine on, add the sugar syrup in a thin, steady stream and process until smooth.
- Pour the custard into the tart shell and bake for about 20 minutes, or until almost set. Scatter the remaining 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts on top and bake for about 10 minutes longer, or until the custard is set. Let the tart cool completely before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.