© Fredrika Stjärne
Creamy Reuben Chowder with Rye Croutons
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This tangy chowder is like a Reuben sandwich on a spoon, with smoky sausage, sauerkraut and rye croutons.
Slideshows: Warming Soups
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound smoked ham, diced
- 3/4 pound andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound sauerkraut—drained, rinsed and squeezed dry (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 6 slices of rye bread, cubed and toasted
- Prepared horseradish, for serving
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, melt the butter. Add the onion, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ham and sausage and cook uncovered, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour. Add the broth and sauerkraut and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche and chives. Serve in deep bowls with the rye croutons and horseradish.
Make Ahead The chowder can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.