Creamy Reuben Chowder with Rye Croutons
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This tangy chowder is like a Reuben sandwich on a spoon, with smoky sausage, sauerkraut and rye croutons.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound smoked ham, diced
- 3/4 pound andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound sauerkraut—drained, rinsed and squeezed dry (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 6 slices of rye bread, cubed and toasted
- Prepared horseradish, for serving
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, melt the butter. Add the onion, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ham and sausage and cook uncovered, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour. Add the broth and sauerkraut and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche and chives. Serve in deep bowls with the rye croutons and horseradish.