- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Kosher salt
- Crème fraîche, for garnish (optional)
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is just beginning to brown, add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sugar, cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree and broth, stir to incorporate, season with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the cream and let cool for 10 minutes.
Transfer the soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender in the pot) and puree until smooth. If needed, add additional water or broth to reach desired consistency. Return the mixture to the pot or large a sauce pan. Serve warm and drizzle with crème fraîche.