- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1 pound thickly sliced bacon
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1/2 cup farmer cheese
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- freshly ground pepper
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon in 2 batches over moderate heat, turning once, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes per batch. Drain the bacon on paper towels and coarsely chop it.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Shake the pot over moderately high heat for about 20 seconds to dry the potatoes. Pass the potatoes through a ricer into a large pot. Add the butter, cream, cheese, chives and bacon and stir well. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
The finished potatoes can be reheated in a microwave oven at high power at 1-minute intervals; stir the potatoes occasionally.