Creamy Potato-Corn Mash
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 3 ears of corn, kernels cut off and cobs cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring the corn cobs and cream to a simmer. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 30 minutes; discard the corn cobs.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with water. Add the garlic and a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil; cook over moderately high heat until the potatoes are tender, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium skillet. Add the corn kernels and 2 tablespoons of water, cover and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook the corn over moderate heat, without stirring, until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Scrape the corn into a blender. Add the corn-infused cream and puree until smooth.
- Drain the potatoes and garlic and return to the saucepan. Shake the potatoes over moderately high heat for 1 minute to dry them; remove from the heat and mash with a potato masher. Stir in the corn cream, sour cream and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.