- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 pound asparagus spears, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 pound spaghetti or penne
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Two 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped basil
- Finely grated lemon zest, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a medium bowl, whisk the milk with the egg yolks and 1/4 cup of cheese.
Fill another medium bowl with ice water. In a large pot of salted boiling water, blanch the asparagus until bright green and crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus to the ice bath to cool. Drain well. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook just until al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the bell pepper, onion, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the chicken, season with salt and black pepper and cook, stirring, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add the asparagus, pasta and milk mixture and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach and basil, season with salt and black pepper and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls and top with lemon zest and freshly ground pepper. Pass extra cheese at the table.