- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (3 ounces)
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring 3 1/2 cups of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add a generous pinch of salt and gradually whisk in the grits. Cook over moderately low heat, whisking often, until the grits are thick and just tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour, and when it is bubbling, gradually whisk in the milk. Cook over moderate heat, whisking frequently, until thickened and no floury taste remains, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the grated cheese and cook until just melted, about 2 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the Parmesan sauce into the grits and season with salt and pepper. Serve right away.
Contributed By Photo © Christina Holmes Published May 2012