Creamy Onion Dip
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes about 2 cups
Animal • Los Angeles
Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo's dip is a perfect update of the soup-mix-and-sour-cream classic: rich, savory and slightly sweet. After all, the chef-partners say, "What's better with a few cocktails than chips and a killer onion dip?"
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Potato chips, carrot sticks and breadsticks, for serving
- In a deep, medium skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until very tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of water to the skillet as necessary to prevent scorching. Transfer the onions to a bowl and let cool. Stir in the sour cream, chives, Worcestershire, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper and season with salt. Serve with potato chips, carrots and breadsticks.