Creamy Low-Fat Arugula Pesto
- SERVINGS: MAKES 1 1/4 CUPS
Arugula gives this lean pesto its fresh tart flavor and peppery kick; farmer cheese and low-fat cream cheese add richness.
- 3 large unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon farmer cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large bunch of arugula (about 6 ounces)
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- In a small dry skillet, cook the garlic cloves over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until softened and blackened in spots, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly. Peel and lightly crush the garlic.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the cheeses and scallions; process until smooth. Add the garlic to the processor and puree. Add the arugula and pulse until finely chopped but not pureed. Season with salt and pepper.
NotesOne Tablespoon Calories 17 kcal, Total Fat 1.1 gm, Saturated Fat .8 gm.
Serve WithFresh vegetables as a dip or on grilled vegetable sandwiches or, thinned with a little pasta cooking liquid, as a sauce for pasta.