© Lisa Linder
Creamy Leek and Potato Soup
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large leeks, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 baking potato (1/2 pound), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chervil or parsley sprigs, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the leeks and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the potato and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 10 minutes longer. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender, then return it to the pan. Season the soup with salt and pepper, garnish with chervil and serve.
Make Ahead The soup can be refrigerated overnight.
This creamy leek soup calls for a full, mellow wine that echoes its richness such as a white Graves with a good proportion of Sémillon.