- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- Pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds skinless halibut fillets, cut into 4-inch pieces
- Basmati rice and warm naan, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the cayenne, turmeric and coriander and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Whisk in the yogurt, then add the cream, garam masala and saffron and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the sauce until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add the halibut to the sauce and turn to coat. Cook over moderate heat, turning once, until the fish is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve with basmati rice and warm naan.
Try this with an Austrian Grüner Veltliner or a minerally California Roussanne.