© Tina Rupp
Creamy Green Chile Soup
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: More Soup Recipes and Tips
- 3 large poblano chiles (6 ounces each)
- Olive oil, for rubbing
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 pound tomatillos, husked
- One 5-ounce bunch of cilantro, leaves and stems very coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese (3 ounces)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the broiler. Rub the poblano chiles lightly with olive oil. Broil the poblanos for about 5 minutes as close to the heat source as possible, turning the chiles once, until they are charred all over. Transfer the poblanos to a medium bowl, cover them with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 minutes. Rub the skin off the chiles with a paper towel and discard the stems and seeds.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the half-and-half with the husked tomatillos and the roasted chiles. Simmer over moderate heat until the tomatillos are just tender, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatillos and chiles to a blender. Add the chopped cilantro and 1/2 cup of the half-and-half and puree until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Stir the puree into the saucepan, then stir in the Pecorino Romano cheese and season with salt and pepper. Simmer the soup until the Pecorino Romano cheese is melted, about 3 minutes. Ladle the green chile soup into bowls and serve right away.