© Quentin Bacon
Creamy Green Chile and Avocado Sauce
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: Makes about 2 1/4 cups
- 1 firm Hass avocado—quartered, pitted and skin left on for grilling; remove skin when blending
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 tomatillos—husked, cored and halved
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño—stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 1 poblano chile—stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Thread the avocado, onion, tomatillos, garlic, jalapeño and chile onto skewers. Brush the kebabs with oil and grill over high heat, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are charred in spots, about 15 minutes; let cool slightly. Remove the ingredients from the skewers and transfer them to a blender.
- Add the cilantro, water, and lime juice. Puree until smooth and season with salt.
Make AheadThe sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Serve WithGrilled chicken.