Creamy Fried Mozzarella Balls
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
Rafaella Giamundo serves these pillowy cheese puffs with cocktailsespecially in the summer, when the family practically lives outside in the garden.
- 1 pound salted mozzarella, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a food processor, puree the mozzarella until a creamy paste forms. Add the eggs, 3 tablespoons of the flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and process until combined.
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper and generously dust it with flour. Shape rounded teaspoons of the cheese mixture into 3/4- to 1-inch balls, then roll them in the flour on the baking sheet.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to 350°. Line a wire rack with paper towels. Roll the mozzarella balls in the flour again. Fry them in batches, stirring once, until golden, about 5 minutes; some may burst open. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mozzarella balls to the paper-lined rack. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.