- 2 large eggplants (1 1/2 pounds each)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- Sea salt
- 1/2 cup drained, canned white beans
- 1/4 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon hazelnut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Hot Hungarian paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Set the eggplants on a baking sheet and poke them all over with a knife tip. Roast for 40 to 45 minutes, until very soft. Let cool slightly.
- Scrape the eggplant flesh into a food processor; discard the skins. Using the side of a chef's knife, mash the garlic to a paste with a generous pinch of salt. Scrape the garlic into the food processor. Add the beans, yogurt, olive oil, mayonnaise, hazelnut oil and lemon juice. Pulse to a coarse puree, scrape into a bowl and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Stir in the parsley and serve.
Toasted peasant bread, thinly sliced red onion and squash blossoms.