- 1 pound European cucumbers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of curry powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons crème fraîche or sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 16 small mint leaves
- In a blender, combine the cucumbers, yogurt, water, lemon juice, curry powder and cayenne and puree until very smooth. Blend in the crème fraîche. Strain the soup through a fine sieve, pressing down on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Season the velouté with salt and white pepper and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a medium bowl, gently whip the cream. Season with salt and white pepper and chill. Just before serving, stir the velouté and pour it into 8 small glasses or demitasse cups. Garnish each serving with a heaping teaspoon of the whipped cream and 2 mint leaves.
The velouté can be refrigerated overnight.
A bold Champagne will balance the richness of the creamy cucumber soup.