Creamy Crab Canapés with Lemon and Caviar
- SERVINGS: MAKES 32 CANAPES
Salmon and whitefish caviar make good, inexpensive alternatives to extravagant osetra and sevruga.
- Eight 1/4-inch slices of brioche or challah
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, plus 1-inch chive pieces for garnish
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces caviar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Using a 1 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 4 rounds from each brioche slice. Butter both sides of the rounds. Set them on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crabmeat with the chopped chives, shallot, lemon zest and salt. Whip the cream until firm. Gently fold the cream into the crab. Spoon the crab mixture onto the croutons. Garnish with the caviar and 1-inch chive pieces and serve immediately.
Start a celebratory dinner with a glass of Champagne.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.