- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (about 8 ounces) drained roasted red or yellow peppers from a jar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 package (5 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 1/3 cup tubetti or other small pasta
- 1/2 cup prepared hummus
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the kielbasa, onion, garlic, roasted peppers and crushed red pepper and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, chickpeas and frozen spinach and simmer over moderate heat until the spinach is thawed, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a small pot of salted water until barely al dente, about 6 minutes; drain. Add the pasta to the soup and stir in the hummus. Simmer until the pasta is al dente. Season the chickpea soup with salt and pepper and serve.