Creamy Chicken Stew
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 chicken drumsticks (1 pound)
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pounds), each cut into 4 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound small white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato (10 ounces), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat a large skillet. Add the vegetable oil and heat until wisps of smoke appear. Add the chicken drumsticks and breasts in a single layer, season with salt and pepper and cook the chicken over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden brown, about 7 minutes total; transfer the chicken to a plate. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mushrooms to a small bowl.
- Add the potato, carrot, onion, garlic and butter to the skillet and cook until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour. Pour in the wine and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the stock, thyme, bay leaf and chicken along with any accumulated juices and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the potato and carrots are tender and the chicken drumsticks are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and thyme. Stir in the heavy cream and the reserved mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.