Creamy Carrot Soup with Scallions and Poppy Seeds
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 12
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 quart water
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 6 large scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot, melt the butter in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and water along with the carrots and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the scallions and poppy seeds and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the scallions are softened, about 1 minute.
- Working in batches, puree the carrot soup in a blender until smooth; transfer to a clean saucepan. Stir in the cream and milk and simmer over moderate heat, stirring. Season the soup with salt and pepper and ladle into bowls. Garnish with the scallions and poppy seeds and serve.
Serve this carrot soup with a full-bodied, luscious California white.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.