- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 3 small celery ribs, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 1/2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cheddar Crisps, for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and water to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the saucepan to a blender and puree until smooth. Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve with the Cheddar Crisps.
The broccoli soup can be refrigerated overnight.